Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Communication Made Easy – IT Revolution


Communication Made Easy – IT Revolution

Information Technology (IT) has made life easy particularly with regard to communication. It is no less than a revolution. We can speak, send texts, images, videos on phone and that too free of cost. I don’t know nor understand the nitty-gritty of it but the fact remains that I am a direct beneficiary of it. Social media like Facebook and Twitter among others has realized the lofty idea, “Vasudhaiva Kutumbukam” – The whole world is one family, for the benefit and advantage of humanity.

I am not, to be frank, a technology savvy man in my day to day functioning and resort to tools like computer and smart-phone only for basic functional needs. But still I find that whatever limited use I make that is good enough to make life much easy and productive.
It is a blessing in retired life and that too during confinement at home whilst under lockdown in the wake of the pandemic, Corona Virus. I intend to hone my skills to make use of IT in my daily routine to smoothen my living further.

I feel like sharing my recent experiences while sitting at home to meet the challenge of the virus. One day, I needed to go to the CGHS dispensary for our medicines. I applied, online, for the required Curfew Pass to move out. The pass was issued and communicated to me on my phone and e-mail in less than an hour. I was to pay my insurance premium which I could do without going personally to the bank by giving instructions to my bank on WhatsApp and e-mail. The utility bills were paid online through digital means. We are yet to realize, I feel, the full potential of the IT revolution. The authorities must pay little more attention to the digital functionality. The things would become more easy and smooth.

Taking advantage of the time at hand in the lockdown, I wrote, as of today, May 17, 26 times in my blog: diplomatictitbits.blogspot.com on the lighter side of Corona Virus besides other blogs particularly on my preoccupation with the proposal on April 14, birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar, as the International Day of Equality, inter alia. For the first time, as a new experience, I could join and participate in two webinars, a new terminology for a seminar, while sitting at home – a seminar on the relevance of the legacy of Manyawar Kanshi Ram and EV Ramaswamy Periyar in the politics of dalits of India and - an in-house stock taking meeting of Scheduled Caste Entrepreneurs Empowerment Forum (SCEEF), an informal affiliate of RSS. With this, I was further impressed by the outcome and result of the IT revolution particularly in the communication domain. It will be good to explore, identify and use these tools to smoothen interaction to save money, time and energy in the days to come.

 As I said, I am not a technology oriented person and certainly not well qualified to write too much on the subject. But I am fully convinced that we should make full use of the IT facilities to make our day to day living better and rewarding. Albert Einstein rightly said, “It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."


No comments:

Post a Comment