Monday, January 3, 2022

 

 Pleasant Moments - Interaction with the Punjab Police Brass

 My new acquaintance with IGP - PAP, Dr. S.K. Kalia, IPS pleasantly turned into a close friendship as proverbial love at first sight. I met Dr. Kalia on December 4 at a social event, Kewal Vig Awards hosted by our common link, Journalist Jatinder Mohan Vig in the memory of his father, at Desh Bhagat Yadgaar Hall and developed instant mutual liking. Kalia Sahib, later, invited me to his office, along with my friend and colleague from the IFS fraternity, Rajinder Bhagat, his old friend, to a friendly chat on matters of mutual interest. Then only, I came to know that Kalia was retiring by the end of the month.

With Dr. S.K. Kalia and his wife

Kalia Sahib was kind to invite me and my wife, Vidya, to carry forward our association, to his official farewell dinner hosted by his office and colleagues at J.F Ribeiro Officers Mess at PAP Complex on December 28. I was extremely happy on this thoughtful gesture and participated in the sumptuous dinner over a couple of ‘Chotta Pegs’ of assorted drinks. I was reminded of my own memories of association and interaction with J.F. Ribeiro  way back in 1989-91 when he was seconded to the Ministry of External Affairs as Ambassador of India to Romania of Nicolae Ceausescu, at that time considered to be one of the safe heavens, in view of security threats to him on his role and action as one of the strong and effective DGPs of Punjab. I was the Under Secretary of East Europe Division in the MEA and Ribeiro Sahib was attached to our Division before taking up his diplomatic assignment in Bucharest. I, as a junior officer responsible for Romania, found Roberio Sahib as one of finest officers in the top IPS hierarchy and an excellent human being, without any pretensions. Later, subsequent to Revolution and demise of Ceausescu and his regime in 1989, I went to Bucharest, as an official representative of the MEA, soon after the change, with a plane load of medicines in AN 32 - transport carrier of the Indian Air Force, for the suffering people of Romania as a friendly gesture by India. Ambassador J.F. Ribeiro received us at the airport and made all the necessary arrangements for the delivery of humanitarian aid to the concerned authorities of Romania. It was a pleasure to enjoy his gracious hospitality at India House, Ambassador’s official residence. Kalia Sahib further humbled me by inviting me to his retirement
With DGP IPS Sahota

luncheon on January 1 at Jalandhar Golf Club at the PAP campus itself. It was a fine sunny afternoon to usher ourselves to the New Year, 2022 with good piping hot food and lovely drinks. Both these occasions provided me much sought after opportunity to meet the top brass of IPS fraternity, both retired and serving, living in and around Jalandhar. It was satisfying to note that the seniors and colleagues of Dr. S.K. Kalia spoke very high of him formally and otherwise. I could feel that Kalia Sahib must be an officer of total dedication and unimpeachable integrity.   DGP IPS Sahota, one of finest IPS officers and through gentleman and his gracious wife, I must write without any reservation, impressed me very much with their easy and friendly demeanor like the legendary J.F. Ribeiro. Jalandhar Police Commissioner, Naunihal Singh, with
With Police Commissioner Naunihal Singh

an impressive personality, was, as always, in his spirits at the luncheon. I liked his good gesture to bring along his young IPS colleagues for their social and cultural expose in their promising careers ahead. Retired seniors like DGP M.S. Bhullar, DGP Ranjan Gupta among others also showed up to register their appreciation of Kalia Sahib. It was advantageous for me to meet and interact with some big-wigs in and around to enrich my social reach namely; Deputy Commissioner of Jalandhar, Ghanshyam Thori, Commissioner Jalandhar Municipal Corporation, Karnesh Sharma, DIG PAP, Babu Lal Meena, Retired IPS Shammi Kumar, Principal of Police DAV School, Dr. Rashmi Vij and her husband, Chief Executive of Hotel Radison among others. It was a good and pleasant beginning of the New Year, 2022.

With Kalia Sahib and his sons
Thanks Kalia Sahib for making it possible for me to enter the New Year in the company of good people around. I take this opportunity to wish you, your gracious wife and two well educated and groomed sons all the best in the years to come. We will continue, Inshalla.


Postscript:-

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

 

 

1 comment: