Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Remembering Surinder Mahey - My fellow BootanMandian

 

Remembering Surinder Mahey - My fellow BootanMandian

Surinder Mahey (1957-2023), a fellow BootanMandian, a known and prominent face of the Mahey clan of Bootan Mandi, Former Mayor of Jalandhar and currently a dalit face of BJP in Punjab is no more. He passed away today, May 15, after a prolonged hospitalization and fight against deadly cancer and other health problems. His untimely death has closed an important chapter of the day to day socio-political hustle and bustle in and around Bootan Mandi. Surinder was the worthy son of the soil who made his mark in socio-political and business circles of the region. Though I had written about Surinder Mahey in my blogs several times with one reference or the other yet I thought of writing again today to remember him as one of my extended Mahey family and join the bereaved family in their hour of grief. I recall my blog of September 4, 2010 – Some of my fellow BootanMandians - 2 when I was still in service. I give an extract of that write up for perusal:

Quote

 The time does not stop. Seths of Bootan Mandi cintinued to do well in the traditional leather business. They made their off spring to join them but without educating them to take over with a modern outlook. Some of them survived and some, who could not sustain, vanished or changed track. One family requires special mention, the family of Shri Surinder Mahey who rose to the coveted position of the Lord Mayor of Jalandhar. He belongs to an ordinary and poor background with little education. His uncle Shri Ram Lal, who came back from the UK after many years, provided financial back-up and support to the family. It was a wise move and appreciable action. But the young boys Hussan and Surinder, sons of Shri Rup Lal, availed off the god sent opportunity and proved their worth in establishing themselves in the leather business. I was not aware of Surinder's political inclinations. He got himself elected as a member of The Jalandhar Municipal Council sometime in 1985. He made good contacts in political set-up. I remember meeting the then Union MinisterYogenderMakwanaChaudhary Jagjit Singh, Chaudhary Darshan Singh Kaypee and some Congress leaders at the residence of Surinder in early 1986, the occasion was the marrage of Surinder, if my memory is correct. He gained further strength and could succeed in occupying the prestigious position of the Mayor of Jalandhar. It is not a mean achievement. Bootan Mandi shall be proud of him. I understand that Surinder still enjoys a good standing in political circles. Apart from his good work as the Mayor, he also contributed considerably to the betterment of the community. I am told that he is the main force behind the project of the magnificent Guru Ravidass Dham at Bootan Mandi. The project is not yet complete and would require further efforts to bring it to completion. Surinder also did a good job in constructing a new building for the school in Bootan Mandi and handed over the Government to run the school, as usual. It would, to my mind, have been better if the school is run directly by the Guru Ravidass Education and Welfare Trust, with a view to provide quality education to the children of the area. It was feasible but the Trust itself, to my knowledge, unfortunately is not fully functional because of internal problems and personal ego of the Seths. I pray that some better sense prevails and Bootan Mandi retains the lead in the affairs of the community.

Unquote

On my return to my roots in Bootan Mandi on retirement from a long diplomatic career in 2011, my interaction with Surinder Mahey increased particularly with regard to the community issues and matters of interest and concern. I found him an enthusiastic social activist and fully involved in community activities. He was always reverential to me, I must register it here. But to my personal assessment, I must be truthful to say, he was somewhat over-obsessed with a bit of excessive personal ego but at the same time fully amenable and accommodative. I personally recall that in 2011-12 during

Guru Ravidass Gurpurab at Bootan Mandi, 2011

Guru Ravidass Jyanti celebrations in Bootan Mandi, he parted company with the main stream managing committee of Guru Ravidass Educational and Charitable Trust and Guru Ravidass Dham owing to some differences which were mostly personal and arranged parallel functions. I tried to argue and advised him and the other group to shun this divisive approach with a poetic assertion -
हम ही हम हैं तो क्या हम हैं, तुम ही तुम हो तो क्या तुम हो!  - They got united in the successive years; it was a matter of satisfaction.

Surinder Mahey, as a politician, learned the tricks of the trade from the political big-wigs like Chaudhary Jagjit Singh, Darshan Singh Kaypee, Mohinder Singh Kaypee among others. I was told that he had enjoyed good rapport with Captain Amrinder Singh while he was in the Congress Party. He remained a successful and active Mayor of Jalandhar from 2002-2007. People still remember his tenure as the Mayor with appreciation. Later he lost track and left the Congress Party for political convenience which did not go well for his political career. In 2019, he joined BJP and contested elections from the


Kartarpur constituency in 2021 and lost. Surinder Mahey tried his best to catch-up with the BJP bandwagon but the fate intervened to upset his plans. He fell seriously sick and succumbed to the deadly cancer after a brave fight. The last time he spoke in Bootan Mandi and paid tributes to Babasaheb Ambedkar on April 14 at Guru Ravi Dass Dham, exactly a month before his Good-bye – Alvida on May 15. With the sad demise of Surinder Mahey, a promising career has been cut short. I close this personal tribute with the prayer to the Almighty to grant peace to the departed soul. We have lost a worthy BootanMandian.

जो बादाकश थे पुराने; उठते  जाते हैं,

सुबह करीब है अल्ला का नाम ले साकी

2 comments:

  1. Respected sir,
    Very descriptive obituary to the worthy son of the soil.
    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete