Saturday, January 7, 2023

Renaming of schools in Punjab – a welcome decision

 

Renaming of schools in Punjab – a welcome decision

The great philosopher, Plato had said, “There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honour and lovers of gain.” The lovers of wisdom and honour should get, and rightly so, due recognition and felicitation by the establishment and the society at large. We in India have had the tradition of honoring our eminent personalities from different walks of life right from our
independence. Apart from honours of head and heart and professional excellence to our soldiers, police personnel, scientists, among others, we established civilian awards like Bharat Ratna and various Padma Awards. Obviously, it is a much appreciable activity.

Gurdass Ram Alam
I have come to know from a media report that Punjab Government has recently renamed 12 government schools in order to give due honour to freedom fighters, martyrs and eminent writers to create awareness among youth about these personalities. It is a welcome decision. This news has given me an opportunity to recall that in
October, 2021, I wrote to the then Minister of Education of Punjab, Pargat Singh to honor two of the sons of the soil; Ghadrite Baba and Founder of Ad-dharam Movment, Babu Manguram Muggowalia of Hoshiarpur and Peoples Poet, Gurdass Ram Alam of Jalandhar by naming schools after the name of these two personalities belonging o the weaker sections of the society for their immense contribution to the cause of social justice and empowerment. My letter of October 18, 2021 in this regard is appended below for quick reference.  I thought of revisiting my humble suggestion and writing to the current Education Minister of Punjab, Harjot Singh Bains, a young and dynamic Minister who is alive to the public-centric issues of concern and interest. Again my
Babu Manguram Muggowalia

letter of January 5, 2023 is also appended below for perusal. Since birthday of both Babu Manguram Muggowalia an falls in the month of January itself, this refreshed submission to honour the eminent personalities may be treated as a tribute and naman to them. Let us join hands in requesting and urging the Government of Punjab to honour Babu Manguram and Gurdass Ram Alam. Jigar Muradabadi wrote:-

apnā zamāna aap banāte haiñ ahl-e-dil  

                   ham vo nahīñ ki jin ko zamāna banā gayā       

          Text of the letter dated October 18, 2021:-

October 18, 2021

Dear Minister Sardar Pargat Singh ji,

I am writing this on a matter of public interest and importance pertaining to Departments of Education under your charge.

You may be knowing about two important and renowned personalities of Punjab – i) Babu Manguram Mugowalia (1886-1980) of Village Mugowal in Garhshankar in the district of Hoshiarpur, a Ghadrite Baba and Founder of Ad-Dharam Movement in the mid-1920s and ii) Gurdas Ram Alam (1912-1989) of Village Bundala (near Gorayan) in district of Jalandhar, a literary personality and a poet of standing and also a social activist. Both these personalities are the icons of dalit communities on not only Punjab but also India and beyond. There is a lingering feeling in the community that these sons of the soil have not been given their due by the ruling dispensations so far. May be the time has come to consider and honour Babu Manguram Mugowalia and Gurdasram Alam Sahib. My proposal in this regard is that schools/colleges in and around their respective villages may be named after them to recognize their contribution to the society. It will be a befitting gesture which would also send a right and positive message to the younger generations of their respective areas under your guidance and stewardship as the Hon’ble Minister of Education of Punjab. More information on these great sons of Punjab, if required, may be provided for your kind perusal.

I am confident, Sir, my humble submissions in this regard will find due and fair consideration.

With personal regards,

Yours truly,

(Ramesh Chander)

Sardar Pargat Singh,

Minister of Education, Sports and NRI Affairs,

Chandigarh

Copy to: Shri Krishan Kumar, Secretary, Departments of Higher Education, Sports and NRI Affairs, Chandigarh

 

Text of the letter dated January 5, 2023:-            

 

January 5, 2023

Hon’ble Minister Sardar Harjot Singh Bains,

I read in the media that 12 schools have been renamed to give due honour to martyrs, freedom fighters and eminent writers with a view to generate awareness among the youth about these prominent personalities.  It is an appreciative gesture extended by the Government of Punjab.

Whereas, I don’t have the details of the schools which have been renamed, I thought of sharing with you my letter dated October ,2021 which I wrote to he then Minister of Education MLA Pargat Singh which exactly caught the imagination of the AAP Government in Punjab.  I wrote to honour and recognize Babu Mangu Ram Mggowalia, Founder of Ad-dharam Movement and a Gharite Baba of Garshankar (Hoshiarpur) and Gurdass Ram Alam, a peoples poet  of Bundala in Jalandhar. I attach that letter for your kind perusal and consideration.

I will be grateful, Sir, if you kindly consider and honour these two personalities, if not already done.  Both these sons of the soil belonged to the weaker sections of the society.  I am confident that decision of the APP Government to give them due honour would send a correct signal to the people of Punjab and would be highly appreciated.

I am, to introduce myself, a retired career diploma of the IFS (1984 batch) now settled in Jalandhar. I briefly joined active public life under the banner of AAP in 2016-17 but left it on my own volition as I felt that active politics was not my cup of tea. Nevertheless, I continue to engage myself in social work in my humble way with a view to pay back to the society my debt of gratitude. I would be happy if I could do something to serve the people of Punjab with the AAP Government at the helm.

With personal regards.

Yours truly,

(Ramesh Chander)

Sardar Harjot Singh Bains,

Minister of Education,

Chandigarh

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment